Green Star Ergonomics Credit for Office Interiors
Available in Brisbane, on the Sunshine Coast and the Gold Coast with Viva Health at Work. To get started call us on 07 3040 7128 or contact us from our website
Viva Consultants have worked with private and government organisations for the provision of extensive office ergonomic screening, assessment, early intervention, and training. We have worked with interior design and architectural firms for the planning and implementation of office fit-outs, including research of relevant standards and best practice, equipment procurement, staff needs assessment, and training.
We engage workers in collaborative work analysis with application of human factors engineering and participatory ergonomics to conduct risk-based task analysis, review potential unwanted events and consider strategies for optimum performance, productivity, health, and safety.
To help workplaces achieve Green Star Ergonomics Credit for Office Interiors and remain compliant with Work Health Safety Act 2011, the Queensland Hazardous Manual Tasks Code of Practice 2011 and the Queensland How to Manage Work Health and Safety Risks Code of Practice 2011, we may review work practice with consideration of applicable design standards. These standards provide recommendations for office furnishings, workstation, storage, space in interior design, input devices and accessories.
The Green Star Ergonomics Credit for Office Interiors is designed to recognise the provision of equipment and spaces that provide optimum levels of comfort to users and that avoid stress and injury. Fit-outs and projects may be awarded this credit when they take ergonomics and comfort into consideration when designing or selecting furniture and other items.
Through our services we engage, investigate, consult, and make recommendations with workers. These may include recommendations consistent with “best practice” strategies to take into account the changing work practices and technological advancement – such as work from home or mobile work stations (mobile devices and community outreach activity, for example) – not yet fully captured with current design standards.
The standards and codes of practice or guidelines from which we may draw reference, consistent with recommendation for the Green Star Office Interior Ergonomics rating tool, may include:
- ISO 11064-4: 2004: Ergonomic Design of Control Centres: Part 4: Layout and Dimensions of Workstations
- ISO 9241-11: (1998): Ergonomic requirements for office work with visual display terminals (VDT’s): Part 11: Guide on usability
- Australian/New Zealand Standard 4443:1997 Office Panel Systems-Workstations. Standards Australia
- Australian/New Zealand Standard 4442:1997 Office Desks. Standards Australia
- Australian/New Zealand Standard 4438:1997 Height Adjustable Swivel Chairs. Standards Australia
- CSAZ 412-00 (R2011) – Guide on Office Ergonomics
- Cornell University Performance Oriented Ergonomic Checklist for Computer (VDT) Workstations
Other standards or guidelines that may be reviewed or considered include:
- ISO 9241-5: (1998): Workstation layout and postural requirements
- ISO 9241-6: (1999): Environmental requirements
- Australian Standard 1680.2.2 - 1994 Interior Lighting Part 2.2: Office And Screen-Based Tasks.
- Australian Standard 2466-1981. Guide to the Design of Microform Workstations. Standards Australia.
- Australian Standard 3590.2-1990. Screen Based Workstations - Part 1. Workstation Furniture. Standards Australia.
- Australian Standard 3590.2-1990. Screen based Workstations - Part 3. Input Devices. Standards Australia.
- Handbook: Ergonomics – The Human Factor: A Practical Approach to Work Systems Design, Standards Australia, SAA HB59-1994
- Cook, C. & Burgess-Limerick, R. (March 2003). Guidelines for Computer Workstations. In Ergonomics Australia, 17, (1), pp. 19 – 37.
- Cornell Ergonomic Seating Evaluation v21
- Queensland Hazardous Manual Tasks Code of Practice 2011
- Queensland How to Manage Work Health and Safety Risks Code of Practice 2011
- Ergonomic Principles and Checklists for the Selection of Office Furniture and Equipment. Ergonomics Unit Worksafe Australia. National Occupational Health and Safety Commission, 1991
- Guidance Note for the Prevention of Occupational Overuse Syndrome in Keyboard Employment. Worksafe Australia. Australian Government Publishing Service, 1989
- The National Injury Prevention and Safety Promotion Plan 2004 - 2014: Guidelines from Australian Government
- WorkCover (1993). Health and Safety In The Office (guidelines): Sydney: Workcover Authority of NSW.
- WorkCover (2002). Fitballs: Guidance Note: Melbourne: WorkCover Authority of Melbourne.
- World Health organisation Act 1947
- Hewlett-Packard and Cynthia Rowe Pruvis: Office of the Future: Incorporating Touch and Sit/Stand into Workstation Design (webinar series 2013)
- Alter, M., J. (1988). Science of Flexibility (2nd Ed.). Human Kinetics: Champaign, IL: USA.
- Brown, P. (1997) Your back, Yoga & You, Broga Trust. ACT Australia.
- Officewise. A guide to health & safety in the office, Comcare Australia, June 1996.
Viva Health At Work consultants have significant interest in human performance technology. As such, we are interested in helping organisations develop their model of best practice for workers and office workstations. We can help business implement positive performance measures to reflect best practice initiatives. We may help business develop self-audit office tools to assess their culture, behaviour, and practices with regard to platinum standard office workstation systems. This may include critical success areas of: management practice, budgetary commitment, safety standards, reporting and communication systems, compliance with positive performance metrics, learning and development, training systems, use of consultants/contractors, risk identification and audit systems, soft tissue management strategies and low impact physical activity introduced at work, general work practices and levels of autonomy, equipment use, procurement practice and trials, and environmental conditions – lighting, airflow, space lay-out, general environment, and office design.
Get started today by calling us on 07 3040 7128 or contact us from our website.